Construction Site Manager
Immediate start, fixed term 10-16 weeks, with the possibility of permanent employment
Guildford (Induction Period), Birmingham / Sutton Coldfield
Competitive salary with project completion bonus
Are you a professional Construction Site Manager with exceptional standards? Are you confident and decisive, able to engage and motivate a team of Site Supervisors and Site Operatives to deliver complex, multiple site projects, on time and to budget? If you are up for the challenge of delivering a unique, large scale infrastructure project, and are immediately available, then we are keen to hear from you.
We are looking for an outstanding Construction Site Manager to deliver ecological mitigation works on various sites, for a major infrastructure project in the Midlands. You will need a positive and professional attitude, with site health, safety and quality at the forefront of everything you do.
This is a hands on role, with overall responsibility for delivering the programme of works. The successful candidate will have construction industry experience, strong interpersonal skills and be able to engage a wide range of stakeholders, as well as lead and motivate a large team on various sites in the Sutton Coldfield area. Ideally, you will have experience of working in ecological contracting, countryside management or a similar field, if not, an interest in wildlife/landscaping and/or ecology would be desirable.
During the preliminary stage, the role will be based at our head office in Guildford and will then operate out of the site office in Sutton Coldfield until contract completion, which will be December 2019. This is a unique and exciting opportunity, where your site management skills will be fundamental to the success of the project.
We are interested in applicants with immediate availability, who can start in good time before site works commence on 2 September.
Thomson Environmental Consultants are experts in environmental compliance. Our specialist teams have been advising our clients across various sectors, on how to achieve their objectives and meet required environmental compliance since 2004. We cover a breadth of specialisms and are always pragmatic with our advice. With offices in Guildford, Leeds, Cardiff, and Birmingham, our teams assist with ecological advice, surveys and assessments, habitat design and creation, ecological contracting, invasive species management, freshwater and marine consultancy, arboriculture consultancy and contracting, data management and mapping and last, but not least, marine laboratory services (invertebrates, fish and sediment analyses).
Successful candidate will
- have proven experience working as a construction site manager in the construction industry, including being Appointed Person
- hold a level 4 qualification (HNC/NVQ4) in construction or a related subject
- have a track record of managing multiple construction sites, including delivery of complex projects
- have experience of managing Temporary Works Design and/or acting as Temporary Works Co-ordinator
- have a thorough understanding of BS5975, what is considered good practice, as well as an in-depth understanding of construction site health, safety and compliance
- be commercially aware, with a proven track record of project delivery on time and to budget
- be an exceptional communicator, confident in dealing with a range of clients, suppliers, sub-contractors, supply chain, direct employees and consultants
- be organised and decisive, able to lead, inspire and motivate site teams to ensure quality and standards are maintained at all times
- be a natural problem solver and be able to evidence a resilience to overcoming unexpected site challenges to ensure works progress to schedule
- be a competent user of Microsoft Office; including. Excel, Word and Outlook
- hold a valid SSSTS/SMSTS certificate as well as appropriate valid CSCS card
- hold a first aid at work certificate
- be willing and able to travel and stay away from home regularly
- have a full UK driving licence and use of a car
- have a positive professional attitude and be an ambassador to our company
Ideally the successful candidate will
- hold MCIOB / FCIOB accreditation (be a member or a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Building) and / or hold a relevant degree
- have worked in ecological contracting, countryside management or a similar field.
You’ll enjoy all the benefits we have to offer, including
- 5 weeks annual leave per year (pro rata)
- private pension contributions
- collaborative and supportive culture
- flexible working
- fantastic on-the-job training
- opportunities for career progression
- regular social events, including a Summer and Christmas party!
- paid mileage, travel & subsistence, whilst away from home
- discounted gym membership
- free parking
- cycle to work scheme
- discounted outdoor clothing
- fully stocked kitchen, including unlimited supply of biscuits, with the odd cake thrown in for good measure.
Read some of our employee testimonials:
“My experience of working at Thomson has been a very positive one, largely due to the type of people I am surrounded with each day; whether it be from my own team or from other departments I interact with less regularly. Within my own team, I am grateful to my manager who been a great support to me on a day-to-day basis, always very encouraging, which makes all the difference!” – Fiona S
“I’ve been put through a lot of training both internally and external far exceeding my expectations. I feel on a personal note this is showing a high level of commitment to me and my continued career with Thomson.
“There is a good attitude towards health and safety, all staff are very approachable and eager to help when asked. All in all, a very friendly atmosphere to work in and I can’t wait to see what the rest of the year holds.” – Simon F
This is a full time, fixed term position, immediate start, until the project completion in December 2019, with the possibility of being extended or becoming permanent.
Please apply as soon as possible with your CV and a convincing covering letter outlining your suitability for the role (max 500 words) to email@example.com