Senior Technical Consultant – Bat or Badger Specialist
Birmingham, Cardiff, Guildford, Leeds or remote working.
Ideally this is a full time role, but flexibility would be considered for top candidates
We are open to applications for permanent, fixed term or sub-contractor.
Are you a bat or badger technical specialist?
Are you a Registered Consultant for the Natural England Bat Low Impact Class Licence or have you been a named ecologist on bat mitigation licences?
Are you a Registered Consultant to use the Natural England Badger Class Licence or have you been a named ecologist on badger mitigation licences? We are looking for those who are happy to lead or supervise the implementation of sett closure works and have been a ‘named ecologist’ on more than one badger development licence, ideally with an average of 1 main sett closure licence per year, for a minimum of the last 3 years.
We are looking for technical specialists to join our team either as sub-contractors, or on fixed term or permanent contracts. You could either be based from our head office in Guildford, or at one of our regional offices in Cardiff, Leeds or Birmingham. Alternatively, you could work remotely, provided you are willing and able to travel to our Aylesbury site, when required. We are happy to adopt agile and flexible working arrangements for successful candidates, wherever possible.
You’ll be working for one of the largest independently owned environmental consultancies in the UK and will contribute to some of the most significant projects of our time.
You will have
- Skills as a technical specialist in either bat or badger mitigation, or both
• Registered Consultant status to use the bat low impact class licence (CL21) or alternatively have been a named ecologist on successful bat development licence applications; or
• Registered Consultant status to use the Natural England Badger Class Licence (CL35)
• Been a named ecologist on badger mitigation licences, with an average of 1 main sett closure licence per year, for a minimum of the last 3 years
• Proven, previous experience in a similar role
• A degree or postgraduate degree in ecology or a closely related subject
• Good knowledge of ecological legislation, and survey best practice
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to write clear, concise technical reports and deal with clients directly with minimal supervision
• Full membership of CIEEM (or to have eligibility if not currently held)
• A full UK driving licence and have use of a car
• The will and ability to travel to our Aylesbury site, when required
• The right to work in the UK
• Team working experience, with a positive outlook and a strong desire to succeed.
Thomson Environmental Consultants are experts in environmental compliance. Our specialist teams have been advising our clients across various sectors, on how to achieve their objectives and meet required environmental compliance since 2004. We cover a breadth of specialisms and are always pragmatic with our advice. With offices in Guildford, Leeds, Cardiff, and Birmingham, our teams assist with ecological advice, surveys and assessments, habitat design and creation, ecological contracting, invasive species management, freshwater and marine consultancy, arboriculture consultancy and contracting, data management and mapping and last, but not least, marine laboratory services (invertebrates, fish and sediment analyses).
- Five weeks annual leave per year (pro rata)
- Private pension contributions
- Collaborative and supportive culture
- Flexible working
- Fantastic on-the-job training
- Opportunities for career progression
- Regular social events, including a Summer and Christmas party
- Paid mileage, travel and subsistence, whilst away from home
- Discounted gym membership
- Free parking
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounted outdoor clothing
- Fully stocked kitchen, including unlimited supply of biscuits, with the odd cake thrown in for good measure.
“Working at Thomson has provided me with the opportunity to grow on both a personal and professional level. Thomson believes in investing in its employees through internal and external training, and as a result I have been able to obtain multiple species licences during my time here. The regional teams provide continual support to each other, and in my experience, everybody is always generous in sharing their knowledge and working together to continue the success of the company” – Lauren H
“Thomson offers its staff a great culture in which to thrive. With an open door policy, supportive team environment and flexible working, it creates a happy and productive work place. Our CEO is always keen to explore new ventures, making Thomson an exciting place to work and let’s not forget our amazing staff parties organised by our very own social team” – Finance Team
“I have been at Thomson seven years now and love it! I started in a very junior role and since then have continually been given the chance to prove myself, take on new roles and develop a career I really enjoy with great people” – Tom O
We are looking to fill several vacancies, successful candidates will live within commuting distance of one of our offices in Birmingham, Cardiff, Guildford or Leeds, or be happy to work remotely with the ability to travel to our site in Aylesbury, when required.
Please apply as soon as possible with your CV and a convincing covering letter outlining your suitability for the role (max 500 words) to email@example.com