Full time permanent
Guildford and Birmingham
Are you a professional ecologist, with experience of working in commercial consultancy? Do you like to travel, enjoy leading site field teams, and hold a protected species licence or specialist technical skill set? Then we have the perfect opportunity for you.
Working for one of the largest independently owned environmental consultancies in the UK, we’re looking for ecological consultant(s) for an interesting and varied role, to contribute to some of the most significant projects of our time.
‘Thomson has given me the opportunities and support to allow me to develop my skills and competencies in ecology and consultancy’ – Amy K, Assistant Ecologist
“It is a strange feeling being in a place where you’re excited to go back to work on Monday, and that’s because I love the team I work with.”
– Luke M, Assistant Ecologist
“Working at Thomson over the last seven years has given me so many opportunities to learn and progress in my career. As we work on such a wide range of projects and as everyone is so keen to help each other learn and develop, I have been able to rapidly build my knowledge and experience. I have always felt well supported by my managers and the wider team and I have learnt so much through the advice I have been given by others, as well as shadowing and undertaking training courses.”
– Lyn P, Associate Director
“I have been at Thomson seven years now and love it. I started in a very junior role and since then have continually been given the chance to prove myself, take on new roles and develop a career I really enjoy with great people.”
– Tom O, Resourcing Manager
You’ll be joining a happy, friendly workplace, guided by our values of Respect, Integrity, Support and Excellence. You’ll have fantastic on-the-job training, opportunities for progression and a range of company benefits including 25 days annual leave, a stakeholder pension scheme, discounted gym membership, free parking and regular social events.
Working as an Ecological Consultant for Thomson, you will have the opportunity to utilise and build upon your existing field skills and consultancy experience, already gained from working a few seasons within the ecology sector, ideally within a commercial consultancy.
You will have the confidence to undertake a variety of site and office based tasks, including undertaking protected species surveys, desk studies and preliminary ecological appraisals with minimal supervision. You will produce high quality work, on time and within budget and be prepared to step up and manage small to medium sized projects. As with all consultancy work, you will need to be a professional with the ability to communicate effectively and to maintain positive client relationships.
Successful candidates will
- Have proven, previous experience in a similar role
- Have a degree or postgraduate degree in ecology or a closely related subject
- Have field skills in one or more specialist areas
- Hold a protected species licence, ideally GCN level 1, or be working towards one
- Have good knowledge of ecological legislation, and survey best practice
- Have experience project managing small to medium scale projects
- Be an excellent communicator with the ability to write clear, concise reports and deal with clients directly with minimal supervision
- Have enthusiasm for keeping up to date with new technologies and best practice
- Hold full membership of CIEEM (or to have eligibility if not currently held)
- Have a full UK driving licence and have use of a car
- Be willing and able to travel and stay away from home regularly
- Have the right to work in the UK
- Be a team player, with a positive outlook and a strong desire to succeed.
Thomson Environmental Consultants are experts in environmental compliance. Our specialist teams have been advising our clients across various sectors, on how to achieve their objectives and meet required environmental compliance since 2004. We cover a breadth of specialisms and are always pragmatic with our advice. With offices in Guildford, Leeds, Cardiff, and Birmingham, our teams assist with, ecological advice, surveys and assessments, habitat design and creation, ecological contracting, invasive species management, freshwater and marine consultancy, arboriculture, data management and mapping and last but not least, laboratory analysis including marine benthic taxonomy.
- Five weeks annual leave per year (pro rata)
- Private pension contributions
- Collaborative and supportive culture
- Flexible working
- Fantastic on-the-job training
- Opportunities for career progression
- Regular social events, including a Summer and Christmas party
- Paid mileage, travel and subsistence, whilst away from home
- Discounted gym membership
- Free parking
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounted outdoor clothing
- Fully stocked kitchen, including unlimited supply of biscuits, with the odd cake thrown in for good measure.
Thomson provides a supportive working environment with fantastic opportunities for career progression and professional development.
We are looking to fill several vacancies in both our Guildford and Birmingham offices. Successful candidates will live within commuting distance of our Guildford or Birmingham offices or be prepared to relocate.
Please apply as soon as possible with your CV and covering letter outlining your suitability to email@example.com