Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Consultant
Full time, permanent, Guildford, Leeds, Birmingham, Cardiff or London
Competitive salary based on experience
Are you a commercially aware EIA Consultant, looking for your next exciting opportunity? Do you want to work for a growing and ambitious company, and be responsible for establishing a new business unit focused on your EIA expertise? Are you up for the challenge?
We welcome an innovative and entrepreneurial approach to work and are looking for someone with lots of drive and energy to develop our new business unit in EIA consulting. You will take responsibility for co-ordinating EIA activity across the business, utilising our talented team of technical experts (in-house and sub-contractors) to contribute to the process, as well as drawing upon your own experience of writing Environmental Statement chapters and associated reports. You will have knowledge of EIA techniques as well as a broad understanding of all disciplines that contribute to the EIA process. You will have a thorough understanding of the legal framework and UK planning system, as well as holding in-depth knowledge of the procedural and technical aspects of environmental impact assessment.
Having already worked in a commercial consultancy, you will be a sound communicator, confident when liaising with key internal stakeholders, as well as clients and planning authorities. With an understanding of the commercial side of our business, you will be able to prepare fee proposals, and realise the importance of delivering projects on time and to budget.
You’ll be joining a happy, friendly workplace, guided by our values of Respect, Integrity, Support and Excellence. You’ll enjoy all the benefits we have to offer, including fantastic on-the-job training, 25 days annual leave, discounted gym membership, free parking (location dependant) and regular social events, with the odd cake thrown in for good measure!
Thomson Environmental Consultants are experts in environmental compliance. Our specialist teams have been advising our clients across various sectors, on how to achieve their objectives and meet required environmental compliance since 2004. We cover a breadth of specialisms and are always pragmatic with our advice. With offices in Guildford, Leeds, Cardiff, and Birmingham, our teams assist with, ecological advice, surveys and assessments, habitat design and creation, ecological contracting, invasive species management, freshwater and marine consultancy, arboriculture consultancy and contracting, data management and mapping and finally, marine laboratory services (invertebrates, fish and sediment analyses).
Find out more about the type, size and scope of the projects we work on.
Successful candidates must
- Have previous experience of EIA from working within a commercial environmental consultancy.
- Hold a degree or postgraduate degree in environmental science.
- Evidence a successful track record of EIA co-ordination and project management.
- Be technically competent, with an in-depth knowledge of the EIA process and associated environmental and planning legislation.
- Be commercially aware, with experience of delivering projects on time and to budget.
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills, with experience of liaising with clients, planning authorities and key stakeholders, as well as writing EIA chapters and reviewing technical reports.
- Be a strong team player, with the ability to integrate quickly and engage other technical specialists within the business.
- Have a full UK driving licence, use of a car and be willing to travel.
- Have a positive outlook and a strong desire to succeed.
Ideally you will also
- Be a Chartered Environmentalist (or to have eligibility, if not currently held)
- Have Full membership of IEMA or similar body (or to have eligibility, if not currently held)
- Be willing and able to confidently prepare bids and tenders, to grow the business unit with support from the commercial team
- Have the desire to develop and grow a team, previous line management or supervisory experience would be advantageous
- Have experience in managing sub-contractors, including relevant aspects of Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental management.
Read some of our employee testimonials
“Thomson has provided me with the opportunity to manage a diverse portfolio of projects from a variety of sectors. The company fosters a positive atmosphere where everyone feels valued. The support team are fantastic and work tirelessly to make life easier for everyone else. Thomson thrives on innovation and actively engages with research institutes to improve the effectiveness of its survey methods. People are recognised for their achievements and there are plenty of opportunities for career progression. I recommend Thomson for anyone considering a career in ecology.” – William T.
“There’s a real sense of team spirit at Thomson and you learn something new every day from the expert team of ecologists. It’s a great place to work” – Dan H.
This permanent position will ideally be based from our Guildford head office, however we will consider applicants who would prefer to be located at any one of our regional offices in Birmingham, Cardiff, Leeds or London with the need to commute to the Guildford head office, as and when required.
Please apply as soon as possible with your CV and a convincing covering letter, outlining your suitability for the role and indicating your preferred location (max 500 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org