Field Surveyor (temporary)
We are the UK’s leading experts in gaining consents and meeting ecological planning conditions. Our expertise is in all ecosystems and we provide the full range of services within ecology from survey, through data management to consultancy and public inquiry. We help our clients from all sectors to gain planning consent and to manage the impacts of developments on species and their habitats. We promote a happy, friendly workplace and are guided by the company’s core values of Respect, Integrity, Support and Excellence.
Thomson Ecology has opportunities for seasonal Field Surveyors to help support our terrestrial ecology team in the busy field season. We have a number casual-hours positions with both weekday and weekend opportunities available nationally.
This is a great opportunity to learn some practical survey and mitigation techniques in a range of species and habitats as well as gaining experience of working in a busy independent environmental consultancy. Many of our previous field surveyors who have excelled during the field season have gone on to secure full time permanent positions with us.
Applicants should be willing to work 8 to 10 hours a day and up to 5 days a week, as required, during the spring and summer months. Weekend work may be required. Whilst some weeks you will be working full time hours, we cannot guarantee this on a regular basis. Accommodation and mileage will be paid for, and a generous subsistence allowance will be given when staying away from home.
We are especially interested to hear from candidates located within 1 hours commute from our offices in Guildford, Leeds and Cardiff.
Successful candidates must have
- a degree in ecology or a related field, or suitable relevant experience
- the right to work in the UK
- a valid driving licence and vehicle, insured for business use
- experience of ecological survey and mitigation work
- availability to attend mandatory training in advance of start date
- the ability to travel and stay away at survey sites in various locations around the country
- confidence to work independently, and as part of a team
- self-motivation with the ability to learn quickly.
Ideally, successful candidates will also have the following
- a protected species licence e.g. GCN, bat or dormouse
- membership to the Chartered Institute of Ecological and Environmental Management (CIEEM)
- a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) Card
- First Aid at Work certification.
Apply as soon as possible with your CV and covering letter outlining your suitability to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include in your covering letter details of your availability between April and September 2018. Please state where you will be based during the season, if this is different from your permanent address.
Previous applicants need not apply.