Head of Ecology
Two positions – one based in Guildford and one Regional
Full time, permanent, Guildford
Competitive salary based on experience
Are you a commercially aware people leader looking for your next exciting opportunity in ecological consultancy? Do you enjoy leading and motivating teams of technical managers and specialists who have responsibility for delivering large complex ecological projects? Does the challenge of delivering exceptional work to clients, setting us apart from our competitors, whilst meeting gross profit targets excite you? If so, then we would be delighted to hear from you.
We are looking to appoint two Heads of Ecology, one to be based in our Guildford head office, the other to be regionally based. The post holders will be strong commercial leaders, with overall responsibility for our terrestrial ecology teams either based at our regional offices in Cardiff, Leeds and Birmingham, with other offices potentially added, or at our head office in Guildford.
You will have oversight of all terrestrial ecology teams (based in Guildford or regional) and will work closely with the individual team leads or regional office managers, who will report directly into you. You’ll need to be a great people person, leading by example to motivate, engage and develop your team to be the best they can be.
You’ll have an approachable and adaptable leadership style and the ability to communicate effectively to achieve the required results in accordance with our company systems and core values. You will be accountable for achieving agreed gross profit targets for your team, hold overall responsibility for delivering high quality work on time and to budget and providing a first-class service to our clients.
For the regional role you will need to be more than happy to travel, staying away from home if required, and be inventive in finding ways of communicating effectively with your regional reports. For the Guildford position, you will need to be happy to travel to site on occasions, and to meet with clients.
These are pivotal positions in the business, with the opportunity to shape the way the terrestrial team operate across the business, including providing significant contribution to how we scope, resource and attract the best possible talent. You’ll have a direct influence over the team culture, with autonomy to make key decisions to enable the terrestrial team to thrive.
Successful candidates must
- have significant experience within a commercial ecological / environmental consultancy
- have a degree or postgraduate degree (or equivalent) in an ecological or related subject
- be an exceptional leader, able to motivate managers and teams, ideally with hands on experience of managing remote teams
- be technically competent, with an in-depth knowledge of ecology, legislation, and survey techniques
- be highly organised with considerable experience of managing large, complex projects
- have a proven track record of preparing bids and tenders, winning work and generating new business opportunities, with support from a commercial team
- be financially adept with the ability to manage budgets and meet gross profit targets
- have excellent written communication skills and be able to produce meticulous and accurate technical reports including EPSL applications, EcIA chapters and habitat regulation assessments
- have a full UK driving licence, use of a car and be willing and enthusiastic to travel when necessary
- have a positive outlook and a strong desire to succeed.
Ideally successful candidates will have
- full membership of CIEEM (or to have eligibility if not currently held)
- advanced field skills in one or more specialist areas as well as holding protected species licences.
These are permanent positions, based either at any one of our regional offices in Cardiff, Leeds or Birmingham, with the need to commute to the Guildford head office, as and when required; Or at our head office in Guildford, on the picturesque Surrey Research Park. The successful candidates will live within commuting distance of one of our offices, or be prepared to relocate.
Please apply as soon as possible with your CV and covering letter outlining your suitability for the role (max 500 words) to email@example.com