HSQE Manager – Guildford, Surrey
Ideally this is a full time role but flexibility would be considered for top candidates (minimum of 80% allocation/4 days)
Are you an HSQE expert? Do you have experience of working in the environmental sector, specifically in ecological consultancy, water assessment or habitat management? Are you tired of construction sites? Ready for a change? Are you looking for variety and a challenge? Then this is the job for you!
We are looking for an HSQE Manager to implement and maintain the Thomson HSQE Management System to ensure successful re-certifications and compliance with all Health, Safety and Environmental legislation.
Reporting to the COO, the HSQE Manager will work closely with Thomson’s ecological consultants and site employees as well as clients and subcontractors. Although based in our head office in Guildford, you will need to carry out site visits from time to time.
Thomson has a strong safety culture and has the following HSQE certifications: ISO9001, ISO14001, UVDB, RISQS, Acclaim and CHAS.
You will be responsible for keeping up to date with HSQE legislation and ensuring that Thomson remains compliant. You will need to be personable and approachable and have the ability to engage with our employees, clients and subcontractors to ensure they fulfil their HSQE responsibilities. Taking the lead on internal and external audits, you will have a high level of attention to detail and will maintain our HSQE Management System, updating and writing new policies and procedures. You should be willing to travel to site to conduct site inspections and incident investigations, nationally.
“I have been at Thomson seven years now and love it! I started in a very junior role and since then have continually been given the chance to prove myself, take on new roles and develop a career I really enjoy with great people!” – Tom O.
“Since joining Thomson at the start of the year, I have found the culture of the company refreshing – there’s a fast-pace approach to decision making which means that ideas are not just discussed but implemented.” – Tessa H.
“The people at Thomson are fantastic. Everyone is always willing to help and there is a real sense of comradery between all the staff.” – Ross R.
Thomson is a fast growing, privately owned environmental consultancy which provides a range of specialist services to clients in the construction sector helping them to gain planning consent and to manage the impact of their developments on wildlife habitats.
Our ecological consultants conduct field survey work across the UK on prospective or active construction sites. We also carry out habitat creation for protected species by providing services which include vegetation clearance, landscaping, pond excavation, fencing, tree felling and planting.
Working in a happy, friendly workplace, with a wide range of specialisms, our teams are guided by the core values of Respect, Integrity, Support and Excellence. We provide fantastic on-the-job training, opportunities for progression and a range of company benefits including 25 days annual leave, a stakeholder pension scheme, discounted gym membership, childcare vouchers, free parking and regular social events.
To be successful in this role you will
- Ideally hold a NEBOSH diploma and CMIOSH (or working towards this status). Alternatively, you could be an experienced technical member of IOSH with a NEBOSH certificate
- Be a comfortable and confident communicator (written and oral) with an ability to liaise with necessary enforcing authorities such as the HSE, Fire Authority, Local Authority and Environment Agency when required with an ability to be influential across all levels of our organisation
- Have previous experience in environmental services (i.e. ecology, landscaping or arboriculture) or infrastructure (rail, highways or water)
- Be an experienced auditor, preferably Lead Auditor status
- Be pragmatic, self-motivated and organised
- Have a positive ‘can do’ attitude and be an ambassador to our company
- Have a full UK driving licence and the right to work in the UK
- Be computer literate
- Have an interest in our natural world.
- 5 weeks annual leave per year (pro rata)
- Private pension contributions
- Collaborative and supportive culture
- Flexible working
- Fantastic on-the-job training
- Opportunities for career progression
- Regular social events, including a Summer and Christmas party
- Paid mileage, travel & subsistence, whilst away from home
- Discounted gym membership
- Free parking
- The option to take extended periods of leave during quieter months
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounted outdoor clothing
- Fully stocked kitchen, including unlimited supply of biscuits, with the odd cake thrown in for good measure
This position will be based from our offices in the picturesque Surrey Research Park. The successful candidate will live within commuting distance of Guildford or be prepared to relocate. A degree of flexibility with working hours, or work pattern will be considered for the right applicant.
Please apply as soon as possible with a personal statement and CV emailed to email@example.com