Senior Ecological Consultant (terrestrial)
Guildford or Cardiff
Are you looking for your next step as a Senior Ecological Consultant? Are you commercially aware with excellent communication and project management skills? Do you enjoy managing client relationships and assisting with business development initiatives?
Due to business growth, we have a number of Senior Ecological Consultant vacancies to join our terrestrial team based either in Guildford or Cardiff. Working for one of the largest independently owned environmental consultancies in the UK, you will be able to contribute to some of the most significant projects of our time.
“Thomson has provided me with the opportunity to manage a diverse portfolio of projects from a variety of sectors. The company fosters a positive atmosphere where everyone feels valued. The support team are fantastic and work tirelessly to make life easier for everyone else. Thomson thrives on innovation and actively engages with research institutes to improve the effectiveness of its survey methods. People are recognised for their achievements and there are plenty of opportunities for career progression. I recommend Thomson for anyone considering a career in ecology.” – Will T.
“Thomson really cares about its staff, providing flexible working arrangements to help people work around their family commitments. The team culture is great with lots of support and training opportunities. I have always felt genuinely supported and respected, making me want to give my best back to the company.” – Kate T.
You may be looking for a step up into a more senior role, or already be an established consultant with a wealth of experience within commercial consultancy and as such, you will ideally have experience of undertaking business development, preparing quotes and tenders, and building client relationships.
We are looking for candidates who can manage a diverse portfolio of projects in a variety of sectors. We are interested in hearing from people with terrestrial ecology specialisms (such as protected species, botanical, habitat assessment/restoration) and those who can demonstrate the application of their skills in an ecological consultancy setting.
This is a varied role and will include mentoring and supervising junior staff, taking responsibility for the standard of survey work by leading a field team, preparing tenders and quotes for clients, managing client relationships, undertaking ecological surveys and mitigation; managing and delivering a range of projects, which may involve EPSL applications, EcIA chapters and habitat regulation assessments, and finally, producing high quality reports for clients on time and to budget.
- Have relevant and proven experience in a similar role, ideally within a commercial consultancy
- Have degree or postgraduate degree (or equivalent) in an ecological or related subject
- Have advanced field skills in one or more specialist areas
- Ideally have at least one protected species licence
- Have an in-depth knowledge of ecology, legislation, and survey techniques and an enthusiasm for keeping up to date with new technologies and best practice
- Be commercially aware with experience of managing budgets
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills; be able to produce meticulous and accurate technical reports as well as communicate confidently with clients and stakeholders
- Be organised with proven ability to manage several projects simultaneously
- Hold a full UK driving licence and have use of a car
- Have full membership of CIEEM (or to have eligibility if not currently held), and
- Have a positive outlook and a strong desire to succeed.
Ideally you will
- Have experience of leading and motivating a team of both site and office based staff
- Have a proven work winning track record and experience of preparing bids and tenders, winning work and generating new business opportunities.
Thomson Environmental Consultants are experts in environmental compliance. Our specialist teams have been advising our clients across various sectors, on how to achieve their objectives and meet required environmental compliance since 2004. We cover a breadth of specialisms and are always pragmatic with our advice. With offices in Guildford, Leeds, Cardiff, and Birmingham, our teams assist with, ecological advice, surveys and assessments, habitat design and creation, ecological contracting, invasive species management, freshwater and marine consultancy, arboriculture, data management and mapping and last but not least, laboratory analysis including marine benthic taxonomy.
We promote a happy, friendly workplace and are guided by the company’s core values of Respect, Integrity, Support and Excellence. We provide fantastic on-the-job training, opportunities for progression and a range of company benefits including 25 days annual leave, a stakeholder pension scheme, discounted gym membership, free parking and regular social events.
We have permanent positions based either at our head office on the picturesque Surrey Research Park in Guildford, or in central Cardiff. Successful candidates will live within commuting distance of these offices or be prepared to relocate.
- 5 weeks annual leave per year (pro rata)
- Private pension contributions
- Collaborative and supportive culture
- Flexible working
- Fantastic on-the-job training
- Opportunities for career progression
- Regular social events, including a Summer and Christmas party
- Paid mileage, travel & subsistence, whilst away from home
- Discounted gym membership
- Free parking
- The option to take extended periods of leave during quieter months
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounted outdoor clothing
- Fully stocked kitchen, including unlimited supply of biscuits, with the odd cake thrown in for good measure
Please apply as soon as possible with your CV and covering letter outlining your suitability to email@example.com