GIS Specialist, Guildford, Surrey
Full time, permanent
Are you a brilliant GIS technical specialist? Do you have experience of, or the desire to work within the environmental consultancy sector? Are you used to meeting client expectations and delivering high quality maps and data, on time and to budget? Are you commercially aware, self-motivated, organised, with excellent communication and project management skills? If so, then the wait is over, we have the perfect opportunity for you.
We are looking for a Senior GIS Specialist to join our small, dynamic team, providing GIS support to both internal and external clients. We welcome an innovative and entrepreneurial approach to our work and are looking for someone with new ideas who will push technological developments within the business.
Our award-winning GIS team supports project delivery using market-leading software. We provide cutting-edge Thomson Interactive Mapping (TIM) services, enabling our clients to access their project data-sets in a spatial environment and monitor data collection real-time.
The team also provides Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) services such as the acquisition and processing of high-resolution aerial imagery.
This is a leading role within our GIS team, providing field data collection, mapping and data management support for a wide variety of consultancy projects. You will be contributing to the future development and expansion of our GIS service offering as well as applying your project management and technical expertise to existing projects.
You’ll be joining a happy, friendly workplace, guided by our values of Respect, Integrity, Support and Excellence. You’ll enjoy all the benefits we have to offer, including fantastic on-the-job training, 25 days annual leave, discounted gym membership, free parking and regular social events, with the odd cake thrown in for good measure!
Thomson Environmental Consultants are experts in environmental compliance. Our specialist teams have been advising our clients across various sectors, on how to achieve their objectives and meet required environmental compliance since 2004. We cover a breadth of specialisms and are always pragmatic with our advice. With offices in Guildford, Leeds, Cardiff, and Birmingham, our teams assist with ecological advice, surveys and assessments, habitat design and creation, ecological contracting, invasive species management, freshwater and marine consultancy, arboriculture consultancy and contracting, data management and mapping and last, but not least, marine laboratory services (invertebrates, fish and sediment analyses).
You will ideally have
- have experience in a similar role, ideally within the commercial environmental or geospatial sector.
- hold a degree or postgraduate degree (or equivalent) in GIS or a related subject.
- have a track record of producing consistently high quality, error free maps and data for clients.
- be an expert in data management and spatial analysis.
- be technically competent, with proven experience of using ESRI ArcGIS 10 Enterprise package including Desktop, Server, Online, and Field Apps (Collector, Survey123 & Workforce for ArcGIS) as well as using databases e.g. SQL.
- have an innovative and investigative approach, with the ability to develop custom data processing tools using Model Builder and/or python scripts.
- be commercially aware, with strong planning and organisation skills, able to deliver multiple projects on time, and to budget.
- have excellent verbal and written communication skills with experience of writing/supporting bids for GIS projects.
- be a strong team player, able to integrate quickly and engage other technical specialists within the business.
- be familiar with the latest technological developments and advances in the geospatial sector.
- have a positive outlook and a strong desire to succeed.
Read some of our employee testimonials
“The company culture of Thomson is exceptional. The GIS team offers a great support network alongside various opportunities to build on your technical skill-set. My GIS expertise has strengthened rapidly even in the first few months of working here. Senior management have invested their time in me to grow and prosper in my role as a GIS Specialist. I always feel like my hard work is recognised not only by our SLT, but also by the wider team.” – Joe H.
“The support and guidance Thomson have given me as a recent graduate has been fantastic. There is a strong team approach to working at Thomson. Everyone is well integrated, and their contributions are recognised and valued within the company.” – Sam H.
“Thomson really cares about its staff, providing flexible working arrangements to help people work around their family commitments. The team culture is great with lots of support and training opportunities. I have always felt genuinely supported and respected, making me want to give my best back to the company.” – Katie T.
This is a permanent position based at our head office on the picturesque Surrey Research Park. The successful candidate will live within commuting distance of Guildford or be prepared to relocate.
Please apply as soon as possible with your CV and a convincing covering letter outlining your suitability for the role (max 500 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org