We are delighted to announce the 2014 Thomson Ecology Photography Competition!
“Water In Our Natural Environment.”
The theme for this years competition: “Water In Our Natural Environment” reflects that water is essential for all life – all flora and fauna must have water to survive. For an ecology practice like us, water plays a huge part in the work that we do, from marine ecology and benthic taxonomy, to enhancing ponds for amphibians and ditches for water voles!
The competition is open to everyone, from any country, and photographs entered can have been taken anywhere in the world.
The winning image will be published in our marketing material, on our website and on a variety of social media sites as decided by our marketing team. The winner will be paid a fee of £20 for each different use that may be made of the image.
In addition we will issue a press release with the winning image, which could be picked up by any journal or newspaper. Last year’s winning image was printed as a quarter page in The Daily Telegraph, giving massive publicity to the winner, Bill Doherty, for his image entitled “Splash and Grab” (above right), so this is an exciting opportunity to show your skills, and possibly kick start a career as a commercial photographer!
Participation in this competition is free. Images will be judged by a panel of four, including our guest judge from Guildford Photographic Society, Rita Daubeney, PAGB. The images will be judged on originality, technical ability, composition, overall impact and artistic merit.
How to enter
- A maximum of two entries per person.
- Wildlife and nature photography rules apply to this competition. Please read the next section.
- Email your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Photos must be at least 1Mb in size in JPEG format.
- Name each file as follows: first-name-last-name-image-title.jpg
- State on the entry email: a caption and brief description, including any species names; your name, address, telephone number; the date of the photograph and the location of where you took it.
The closing date is 30th September 2014.
- Your decision to enter the Thomson Ecology Photographic Competition 2014 denotes your acceptance and adherence to these rules.
- Images must not include pets, animals kept in zoos or at game farms.
- If you include people in your photograph, please attach a scan of their signed acceptance of publication with your email.
- Do not submit images depicting wilful harassment or endangerment of wildlife or damage to the environment.
- Images must have been taken by the entrant, and not have won a national or international competition or have been published before.
- Photographs that have been materially altered in digital processing will be disqualified solely at the judges’ discretion.
- All decisions by the judges will be final and binding.
Copyright and usage
The photographer must be the sole author and owner of the copyright of the photos entered in to the competition. The photographer will retain full copyright of each entry. Thomson Ecology will credit the image wherever it is used. Failure to publish a credit due to error or oversight shall not be deemed a breach of this condition.
We reserve the right to publish the shortlisted images on our website and on social media as part of the promotion for the competition. All images will be credited.
We look forward to seeing your photos.