Welcome to the 7th Annual Thomson Ecology Photography Competition
The competition this year is entitled, “Our Natural World”.
“Our Natural World” has been chosen because much of Thomson Ecology’s work as an ecology consultancy involves the restoration of habitats and the enhancement
of sites for the benefit of wildlife, especially after development works have taken place. So, we invite you to send us photos which illustrate this
– perhaps a striking landscape – or an animal or bird in a natural setting.
The competition is open to everyone of any age, and images can have been taken anywhere in the British Isles.
The prizes are:
£200 for the winner, and, the winning image may be published in our marketing material, for which the winning photographer will be paid a fee of £20 for
each different use that may be made of the image.
£50 each for three runners-up.
Once the winner has been chosen, we will issue a press release with the winning image, which could be picked up by any journal or newspaper. A previous
year’s winning image was printed as a quarter page in The Daily Telegraph, giving massive publicity to the winner, so this is an exciting opportunity
to show your skills, and possibly kick start a career as a commercial photographer!
Participation in this competition is free. Images will be judged by a panel of three, including 2013 winner, Bill Doherty. The images will be judged on
originality, technical ability, composition, overall impact and artistic merit.
How to enter
- A maximum of two entries per person.
- Wildlife and nature photography rules apply to this competition. Please read the next section.
- Email your entries to email@example.com
- Photos must be at least 1Mb in size in JPEG format.
- Name each file as follows: first-name-last-name-image title.jpg
- State on the entry email: a caption and brief description, including any species names; your name, address, telephone number; the date of the photograph
and where you took it.
The closing date is Friday 30th September 2017.
- Your decision to enter the Thomson Ecology Photographic Competition 2017 denotes your acceptance and adherence to these rules.
- Photographs entered must be taken in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.
- Images must not include pets, animals kept in zoos or at game farms.
- If you include people in your photograph, please confirm their acceptance of publication with your email.
- Entrants must not be professional photographers. For the purposes of this competition, a professional photographer will be considered to be someone who makes more than half their annual income from the sale of their photographs.
- Do not submit images depicting wilful harassment or endangerment of wildlife or damage to the environment.
- Images must have been taken by the entrant, and not have won a national or international competition or have been published before.
- Photographs that have been materially altered in digital processing will be disqualified solely at the judges’ discretion.
- Submitted images may appear on our website and on a variety of social media sites as part of the promotion of this competition.
- All decisions by the judges will be final and binding.
Image, by 2016 winner, Alan Warriner