Due to predicted changes in the West Somerset coastline caused by the rising of the sea level, wetland has been created to support local wildlife as well as helping manage the flood risk to the local community.
What we did
- We installed 5km of temporary newt fencing in order to trap amphibians including great crested newts. Some of the newt fencing was installed around water-bodies.
- We undertook translocation of suitable pond material to a nearby great crested newt receptor site.
- We drained and in-filled six ponds.
- We installed log hibernacula to provide habitat for the great crested newts within the receptor site.
- We translocated over 2000 great crested newts.
- We completed chytridiomycosis swabbing and analysis.
Steart Peninsula, Somerset