As part of Thomson Ecology’s framework agreement with Network Rail, and working in partnership with Thomson Habitats, we carried out badger sett closures and exclusions on multiple sites across Network Rail infrastructure.
One of the sites in East Yorkshire required an emergency badger sett closure, as the sett was undermining a main rail line. There was a significant risk of the line becoming damaged, due to subsidence or the collapse of the sett structure. Following extensive consultation with Natural England, we were granted an emergency licence for the closure of the sett, and were permitted to close the sett outside of the normal season.
As part of our works we
- Surveyed and mapped out four separate badger setts
- Cleared over 1400m2 of dense vegetation and trees to facilitate mitigation works
- Supplied and installed over 70 metal one-way badger gates
- Supplied and installed over 1400m2 of heavy-duty PVC chain-link mesh
- Provided Safe Systems of Work packs for all work sites
- Provided safety critical staff for all work sites including COSS and Lookouts where required.
Thomson Ecology & Thomson Habitats worked closely together to provide a turnkey approach, ensuring that all of the required badger sett closures were undertaken in line with our programme and to a high standard of quality and safety. ”
Our other projects
We cover all aspects of environmental consultation – from smaller surveys through to strategic projects.
At Thomson, we strive to deliver a pragmatic and innovative approach to environmental compliance.
Working in partnership with our clients, our team of environmental specialists ensures objectives are met, with maximum efficiency for our clients, and minimal impact on the natural world.
Blue Newt is a publication developed by Thomson for those working and interested in the environmental sector.
Our Deep Blue newsletter investigates all things under the sea. Discover how to classify the marine environment, ensuring the community is healthy and managed correctly.