As part of Thomson Ecology’s framework agreement with Network Rail, and working in partnership with Thomson Habitats, we carried out badger sett closures and exclusions on multiple sites across Network Rail infrastructure.
One of the sites in East Yorkshire required an emergency badger sett closure, as the sett was undermining a main rail line. There was a significant risk of the line becoming damaged, due to subsidence or the collapse of the sett structure. Following extensive consultation with Natural England, we were granted an emergency licence for the closure of the sett, and were permitted to close the sett outside of the normal season.
As part of our works we
- Surveyed and mapped out four separate badger setts
- Cleared over 1400m2 of dense vegetation and trees to facilitate mitigation works
- Supplied and installed over 70 metal one-way badger gates
- Supplied and installed over 1400m2 of heavy-duty PVC chain-link mesh
- Provided Safe Systems of Work packs for all work sites
- Provided safety critical staff for all work sites including COSS and Lookouts where required.