Thomson Habitats worked with our client, a Costain-Galliford Try Joint Venture, on the M1 J19 to J16 Smart Motorway in Northamptonshire. The smart motorway programme is a £65m scheme and is part of Highways England’s Collaborative Delivery Framework. The works focussed on increasing capacity on the M1 between J16 and 19 and will allow traffic to use the hard shoulder.
What we did
Our habitats team worked closely with the ecologists and Costain-Galliford Try to deliver the great crested newt mitigation works. As part of our works we:
- Cleared 4.5km of trees, scrub and shrubs to facilitate the installation of great crested newt fencing
- Supplied and installed 4.5km temporary great crested newt fencing
- Installed approximately 400 pitfall traps and 450 carpet tiles
- Provided ecological watching briefs for the above
- Carried out a 25 day great crested newt trapping and translocation exercise
- Constructed 30 log piles and eight brick hibernacula
- Provided client access to our award-winning bespoke GIS project management software – TIM (Thomson Interactive Mapping).
Despite numerous logistical difficulties, challenging terrain and working adjacent to an active motorway, we were able to complete the works to programme and to a high quality.
Services offeredThomson have proven to be highly valuable on this scheme. Despite the difficulties of the ground, tight programme and access issues, Thomson have completed the works to a high standard, and have maintained the highest levels of professionalism. Their TIM software has proven to be of huge assistance, and clearly sets them apart from their competitors. I would not hesitate to use them again. ”
Our other projects
We cover all aspects of environmental consultation – from smaller surveys through to strategic projects.
At Thomson, we strive to deliver a pragmatic and innovative approach to environmental compliance.
Working in partnership with our clients, our team of environmental specialists ensures objectives are met, with maximum efficiency for our clients, and minimal impact on the natural world.
Blue Newt is a publication developed by Thomson for those working and interested in the environmental sector.
Our Deep Blue newsletter investigates all things under the sea. Discover how to classify the marine environment, ensuring the community is healthy and managed correctly.