Forestry Commission Wales is responsible for implementing the Welsh Assembly Government Woodland Strategy for Wales. This includes the management of approximately 130,000ha of Welsh Government owned forest estate, of which currently 14,000ha is designated as ancient woodland.
Thomson Ecology was awarded a two year contract to complete a Baseline Habitat Assessment of this ancient woodland.
What we did
- Thomson Ecology implemented a survey programme to evaluate the current habitat baseline condition of approximately 14,000ha of ancient woodland.
- We monitored the relevant attributes and factors that are associated with a functioning woodland ecosystem.
- Our experienced team of botanists and arboriculturists used a detailed methodology to record data on woodland features.
- We recorded all data using mobile mapper handheld devices, which are GPS enabled and provide sub-metre accuracy. All photographs captured are also geo-tagged.
- Our approach to data collection helps to minimise error and ensure data quality.
Our results are used to inform ongoing improvements in woodland management of the Forestry Commission’s estate.
Forestry Commission WalesLocation
Services offeredThe Forestry Commission Wales is committed to protecting and expanding Britain’s forests and woodlands. By understanding the condition of the forest throughout Wales, they can take measures to preserve and improve these precious habitats.
Our other projects
We cover all aspects of environmental consultation – from smaller surveys through to strategic projects.
At Thomson, we strive to deliver a pragmatic and innovative approach to environmental compliance.
Working in partnership with our clients, our team of environmental specialists ensures objectives are met, with maximum efficiency for our clients, and minimal impact on the natural world.
Blue Newt is a publication developed by Thomson for those working and interested in the environmental sector.
Our Deep Blue newsletter investigates all things under the sea. Discover how to classify the marine environment, ensuring the community is healthy and managed correctly.