We worked with our client, Team Van Oord, to facilitate the construction of flood defences at Congresbury Yeo.
The project involved a £5m contract to design and build 140m of new embankment, raising over 1100m of existing embankment on the North Bank and raising over 1200m of existing embankment on the South Bank.
Due to the location of the scheme, and its proximity to a SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) and the wider SAC (Special Areas of Conservation) of the Severn Estuary, sensitive working methodologies needed to be utilised prior to construction.
What we did
- Cleared over 3km of existing hedgerow using excavator mounted mulchers and tree-shears
- Cleared out ditches to facilitate drainage and prevent flooding
- Sensitively cleared vegetation by hand on areas of archaeological interest to prevent damage and disturbance
- Grubbed out stumps and arisings on the North and South Banks
- Mechanically mulched arisings using a tracked mulcher
- Installed over 1km of great crested new exclusion fencing to prevent amphibians from entering the site.
Working within a fast-paced environment, all works were delivered to a tight deadline and to the client’s satisfaction.
Thomson provided an excellent service. Their works were completed ahead of programme and in accordance with the specification. They are always quick to respond, flexible and accommodating to our demands. I would not hesitate to use them again.
Our other projects
We cover all aspects of environmental consultation – from smaller surveys through to strategic projects.
At Thomson, we strive to deliver a pragmatic and innovative approach to environmental compliance.
Working in partnership with our clients, our team of environmental specialists ensures objectives are met, with maximum efficiency for our clients, and minimal impact on the natural world.
Blue Newt is a publication developed by Thomson for those working and interested in the environmental sector.
Our Deep Blue newsletter investigates all things under the sea. Discover how to classify the marine environment, ensuring the community is healthy and managed correctly.