Our client, VolkerHighways Ltd, needed to construct new facilities at a Highways Depot near Bath, Somerset. The works required the demolition of an administration building along with the construction of a new modular building and an extension to an existing works shed.
What we did
- Our licensed bat ecologists completed a Preliminary Ecological Appraisal and Preliminary Roost Assessment. Bat droppings were found within the loft space belonging to brown long eared bats.
- Hibernation surveys were carried out and a ‘tell-tale’ sheet was placed in the roof void to identify fresh droppings. However, no bats or signs of bats were recorded during these surveys.
- Dusk emergence and dawn re-entry surveys were completed which identified two bat roosts – one for a common pipistrelle and one for a soprano pipistrelle.
- Thomson produced an Outline Mitigation Strategy to support the planning application outlining the measures which would be implemented under a Bat Low Impact Class Licence (BLICL) to minimize disturbance and prevent killing and injury to bats during the demolition. One of the conditions for the licence was the installation of bat boxes and construction of a bat house to replace the loss of the roof void in the existing building.
- Thomson produced an Ecological Management Plan, as required under the planning conditions, detailing the measures completed on site to enhance features for wildlife and how these features will be managed and maintained on site.
- In collaboration with one of our specialists contractors, we designed the bat house that was tailored for the limited space available and to maximize the bat roosting potential.
- Working in close cooperation with our client and with the use of specialist lifting equipment, the bat house was constructed within a week.
- We provided Ecological Clerk of Works (ECoW) that were accredited under the BLICL to supervise and monitor the works.
The client was able to complete their works as planned, no bats were injured or killed during the works and the bats now have a new home.
“Over the last 5 weeks Thomson’s Project Manager has been a pleasure to work alongside and delivered on the time scale that was promised. Site team were great worked efficient and to a great standard.” – Operations Manager at VolkerHighways
Thomson’s Project Manager has been a pleasure to work alongside and delivered on the time scale that was promised. Site team were great worked efficient and to a great standard.
Our other projects
We cover all aspects of environmental consultation – from smaller surveys through to strategic projects.
At Thomson, we strive to deliver a pragmatic and innovative approach to environmental compliance.
Working in partnership with our clients, our team of environmental specialists ensures objectives are met, with maximum efficiency for our clients, and minimal impact on the natural world.
Blue Newt is a publication developed by Thomson for those working and interested in the environmental sector.
Our Deep Blue newsletter investigates all things under the sea. Discover how to classify the marine environment, ensuring the community is healthy and managed correctly.