We worked with our client Carillion Utilities, to facilitate the construction of an onshore cable route for the offshore Dudgeon Wind Farm. The project involved a £30m contract to design and build a 47km onshore twin 132kv cable route. This route is the longest in the UK.
What we did
- Walkover surveys and ecological gap analysis for bats, trees and watervoles
- Dedicated mapping services and the use of our bespoke interactive mapping service, TIM, to collate and share ecological project data
- Ecological assistance and advice throughout the project duration
- Clearance of hedgerows down to ground level along the entirety of the cable route, over a five week period
- Water vole mitigation works on ten ditches across the cable route, using the displacement methodology
- Extensive great crested newt trapping and translocation for 19 metapopulations across 55km of great crested newt fencing
- Provision of watching briefs for ditch fluming and field access works over an eight week period.
Working within a fast-paced and dynamic environment, all works were delivered to a tight deadline and to the client’s satisfaction.
Our other projects
We cover all aspects of environmental consultation – from smaller surveys through to strategic projects.
At Thomson, we strive to deliver a pragmatic and innovative approach to environmental compliance.
Working in partnership with our clients, our team of environmental specialists ensures objectives are met, with maximum efficiency for our clients, and minimal impact on the natural world.
Blue Newt is a publication developed by Thomson for those working and interested in the environmental sector.
Our Deep Blue newsletter investigates all things under the sea. Discover how to classify the marine environment, ensuring the community is healthy and managed correctly.