Following a competitive tendering process, we were awarded the Himalayan balsam remediation package by BMMJV (a joint venture between BAM Nuttall and Mott MacDonald), for works on the Exeter Flood Defence Scheme Phase II.
The £32m Exeter Flood Defence scheme for the Environment Agency involved the construction of flood defences on both banks of the River Exe from Cowley Bridge to Countess Weir.
The defences include walls, banks, demountable weirs, gates and glass panels with extensive landscaping and habitat creation also taking place.
What we did
- Mechanical clearance of 7 hectares of Himalayan balsam along the River Exe using a combination of brushcutters and an excavator-mounted flail. Care was taken to ensure that the Himalayan balsam was cut below the lowest growing node
- Application for Environment Agency herbicide spraying permissions
- Spraying 7 hectares of re-growth along the banks with herbicide
- Providing advice and input into fortnightly environmental progress meetings
- We used our bespoke interactive mapping service –TIM, so that the client and the project team could track progress and see the areas where Himalayan balsam was or had been present. This is important because it means that any future works involving interfaces with contaminated areas can be properly planned.
From the outset, they have worked pragmatically and effectively, and have become part of the wider project team. Their TIM software in particular, has proved to be of huge assistance – particularly in our monthly environmental progress update meetings. We look forward to continuing our working relationship with Thomson.
Our other projects
We cover all aspects of environmental consultation – from smaller surveys through to strategic projects.
At Thomson, we strive to deliver a pragmatic and innovative approach to environmental compliance.
Working in partnership with our clients, our team of environmental specialists ensures objectives are met, with maximum efficiency for our clients, and minimal impact on the natural world.
Blue Newt is a publication developed by Thomson for those working and interested in the environmental sector.
Our Deep Blue newsletter investigates all things under the sea. Discover how to classify the marine environment, ensuring the community is healthy and managed correctly.