Working for our client, VolkerFitzpatrick, we delivered the soft landscaping works at their Stoke Gifford Depot site, as part of the Intercity Express Programme (IEP) on the new Great Western Rail Line.
The depot is part of a major infrastructure and transport programme worth £5.8 billion.
Following our earlier involvement on the scheme, we were asked to carry out grassland seeding works, planting of specimen trees, native shrub planting, and the installation of log piles for wildlife habitat.
What we did
- Hydroseeded 59,000m2 of bank areas with grass seed
- Planted 76 specimen trees
- Planted over 5,500 shrubs, installing a biodegradable mulch mat for each plant
- Created 10 log piles across the site to provide habitats for reptiles and other species.
- Providing advice on scope feasibility and costings during the tender process
- Suggesting hydroseeding on steep banks to remove the need for soil cultivation works
- Notch planting of shrubs, to eliminate the need to excavate pits, and therefore reducing planting time
- Using Thomson Interactive Mapping (TIM) software to enable site progress to be easily accessed by the whole project team, and the client, in real time.