Working for our client, VolkerFitzpatrick, we delivered the soft landscaping works at their Stoke Gifford Depot site, as part of the Intercity Express Programme (IEP) on the new Great Western Rail Line.
The depot is part of a major infrastructure and transport programme worth £5.8 billion.
Following our earlier involvement on the scheme, we were asked to carry out grassland seeding works, planting of specimen trees, native shrub planting, and the installation of log piles for wildlife habitat.
What we did
- Hydroseeded 59,000m2 of bank areas with grass seed
- Planted 76 specimen trees
- Planted over 5,500 shrubs, installing a biodegradable mulch mat for each plant
- Created 10 log piles across the site to provide habitats for reptiles and other species.
- Providing advice on scope feasibility and costings during the tender process
- Suggesting hydroseeding on steep banks to remove the need for soil cultivation works
- Notch planting of shrubs, to eliminate the need to excavate pits, and therefore reducing planting time
- Using Thomson Interactive Mapping (TIM) software to enable site progress to be easily accessed by the whole project team, and the client, in real time.
Working on steep gradients and coordinating our work with other site activities, we were able to complete the works safely and avoid delays. The landscaping works were completed within our client’s time frame and to specification, resulting in a very satisfied client.
Our other projects
We cover all aspects of environmental consultation – from smaller surveys through to strategic projects.
At Thomson, we strive to deliver a pragmatic and innovative approach to environmental compliance.
Working in partnership with our clients, our team of environmental specialists ensures objectives are met, with maximum efficiency for our clients, and minimal impact on the natural world.
Blue Newt is a publication developed by Thomson for those working and interested in the environmental sector.
Our Deep Blue newsletter investigates all things under the sea. Discover how to classify the marine environment, ensuring the community is healthy and managed correctly.